Boat shoes are a classic, versatile shoe that every woman should have in her closet. While boat shoes traditionally go best with casual, laidback outfits, they can also be dressed up for certain occasions. Here’s your guide on what to wear with boat shoes for a stylish, put-together look.
Boat shoes pair wonderfully with dresses for a preppy, nautical vibe. Some top dress options include:
- Sundresses – A breezy sundress with boat shoes epitomizes summertime chic. Opt for a short, lightweight cotton or linen sundress in a bright, warm-weather color.
- Shirtdresses – A shirtdress in an airy fabric looks effortlessly stylish with boat shoes. Choose one that hits above the knee for a leg-lengthening effect.
- Maxi dresses – Maxi dresses are right on trend and create a nice visual balance with low-cut boat shoes. Look for wrap or tie-waist styles to define your silhouette.
Check out our article on Fishing Clothing Brands.
Pair boat shoes with these relaxed yet stylish tops:
- Button-up blouses – An Oxford-style cotton button-up adds polish to casual boat shoes. Roll the sleeves and leave it untucked.
- Printed blouses – A fun printed top complements the simplicity of most boat shoes. Florals, stripes and nautical motifs all work well.
- Graphic tees – Break up the preppy vibe of boat shoes with an edgy graphic tee. Keep the rest of the outfit casual.
- Breton stripe tees – A Breton stripe tee with slim jeans or shorts channels a Parisian vibe. Keep accessories minimal.
See also: What to wear fishing.
Complete your boat shoe outfits with these bottoms:
- Jean shorts – Cuffed denim shorts are the perfect partner to boat shoes in warm weather. Aim for a light wash.
- Chino shorts – Chino shorts in khaki, navy or pastel colors make for easy, breezy boat shoe pairings.
- Cropped pants – Cropped, ankle-length pants allow you to highlight your boat shoes. Opt for slim, tapered styles.
- Cuffed jeans – Roll up skinny jeans or straight leg jeans to show off your shoes. A light wash looks especially summery.
- Palazzo pants – Flowy palazzo pants provide an unexpected but chic contrast with structured boat shoes.
Add some key accessories to take your boat shoe outfits to the next level:
- Straw fedora – Top off your look with a breezy wide-brimmed straw hat.
- Sunglasses – Shield your eyes from the sun with retro cat-eye or circular framed sunglasses.
- Canvas tote – Carry a roomy canvas tote bag for a nod to boat shoe heritage.
- Statement earrings – Draw attention upward with bright, sculptural earrings to accentuate your outfit.
With endless combinations, you can wear boat shoes all season long. Follow these tips to look casually polished from the beach to the street. Don’t be afraid to get creative and make boat shoes your own!