Buying a boat is an exciting prospect but also a major financial investment. A key question for many boat buyers is “how long can I finance a boat purchase?”
The length of boat loans typically ranges from 10 to 20 years, similar to auto loans and mortgages. Here’s an overview of the factors that determine boat loan length and term options.
Typical Boat Loan Terms
- New boats can often be financed for up to 20 years, especially higher-priced boats. This allows for lower monthly payments.
- Used boats are usually financed for 10 years or less, due to faster depreciation.
- Average boat loan term is 10-15 years.
- Shorter terms of 5-10 years have lower interest rates but higher monthly payments.
- Longer terms of 15-20 years have higher total interest paid but lower monthly payments.
What Impacts Boat Loan Term Length?
Several key factors determine how long a lender will finance a boat purchase:
- Loan amount – Higher loan amounts can qualify for longer terms.
- Boat price – More expensive boats can get longer financing.
- New vs used – New boats get better terms than used boats.
- Boat type – Fiberglass boats better than wood or specialty boats.
- Buyer’s credit – Better credit means better loan terms.
- Down payment – Larger down payments can lead to longer financing.
- Debt-to-income ratio – The lower your DTI, the better the loan terms.
- Co-signer – Adding a co-signer with good credit can improve terms.
Carefully evaluating these factors and improving those you can will help secure the most favorable boat loan terms.
Boat Loan Term Scenarios
Here are some examples of typical boat loan term lengths:
- $25,000 new boat loan – Up to 15 year financing
- $50,000 used boat loan – Up to 10 year financing
- $100,000 new yacht loan – Up to 20 year financing
|Loan Amount||New or Used||Max Term|
Talk to multiple lenders to find the best boat loan terms for your particular situation. Carefully evaluate the pros and cons of shorter versus longer financing when shopping for a boat loan.
Monthly Payments by Loan Term
Here’s how monthly payments change on a $50,000 boat loan at 5% interest based on different loan term lengths:
|Loan Term||Monthly Payment|
As you can see, the longer the loan term, the lower the monthly payment. However, you’ll pay more interest costs over the life of the loan.
Alternatives to Boat Loans
Besides traditional boat loans, also consider:
- Home equity loans and lines of credit
- Personal loans from banks and credit unions
- Peer-to-peer lending
- Dealer financing
- Boat finance companies
Be sure to compare interest rates and fees across multiple lenders and loan products to find the most cost effective way to finance your boat purchase.
Can you get a 30 year loan on a boat?
No, you can not get a thirty-year loan on a boat. The longest loan you will be able to get for a boat is 20 years.
Can you pay off a boat loan early?
Yes, you can pay off a boat loan early without a penalty in almost all cases. Check your repayment terms in your lending agreement before signing.
Is it hard to get a boat loan?
Yes, it is harder to get a boat loan, and that is usually because boats are more expensive which makes meeting a lender’s income-to-debt ratio more difficult.